Thursday, March 22, 2012

Shout-outs, Help, and What's Next

I need to pay tribute to a few people/books/websites etc. who have helped me out and showed me the way. First of all I would like to thank my cousin Brian who was a big help in learning about Westies in general, for supporting my decision to get one (despite the amount of work I knew I was getting into), and generally getting me pumped up.

Also to my girlfriend Julie, who supported my decision despite my lack of VW knowledge, and more importantly, dollars. Anther great help was one of Brian's friends, a Westy Pro, who sent me an email outlining several things to do including fuel hoses, thermostat, engine tin seal, and cooling flaps, among others.

Also to The Samba, The Bus Depot, and Been There Done That, among many other great websites that are very helpful for the noob VW owner.

So toady I ordered some parts for the Old Broad. I still havent figured out what to name her. I have some ideas, but nothing great yet. So, I ordered a new Master Cylinder, the engine tin/body seal (called 'the engine weather strip' by the Bus Depot), and a bunch of those little seals that mount to the spark plug fittings. Again, this is an air-cooled vanagon, so the cooling components are very important. From what I have read and been told, the engine weather strip (tin/body seal) is a crucial component to keeping this thing cool.

So look for posts concerning master cylinder (MC) installation (and brake adjustment) and cooling component installation and maintenance.  

Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment